Friday, October 30, 2009

A musical Munkey

When Dan is at work, I turn on the Piano during the day sometimes for Munkey to play. I caught some pictures of her having a blast pecking away at the keys:


I really love that our piano is a player piano with hundreds of songs on it that we can listen to during the day.

She has really gotten into musical instruments lately. We have a picture book with a few pages of instruments and she wants to read it over and over and points to the instruments for me to say what they are. She particularly likes the picture of the maracas.

Granny Kepi got her a set of wooden musical instruments that are bells, and tambourine, a sand filled shaker, and castanets and she loves to play them. Also we recently have been singing jingle bells while playing a hand bell. I'm thinking of trying to find her a few more musical instruments that she can play. Also Granny Kepi and my friend in Provo play the flute, maybe we can arrange for her to have a concert. I need to get my violin out but I'm a little afraid it might be too fragile for her to handle and it would just lead to a screaming fit when she couldn't play with it. I need to find her a little solid wooden violin like I used to have when I started out.

Dan's music academy where he takes piano offers music classes starting at 6 months old, which seemed really young. I think it might be fun to take her to some next year just to see if she likes it. I've seen group music classes for slightly older kids where they sit in a room and each kid gets a keyboard and their parents sit with them and they have a group class. It looked like fun.

I so don't want to be one of those parents that is like you will play 5 instruments, and practice every day, and never miss a lesson. I think it would be more fun for her to just encourage her natural curiosity by finding musical things to do during the day and to try and keep it fun for her and provide her with the opportunities to learn about music.

No comments: