Monday, September 12, 2011

First Hair Cut, finally

Sara had her first official hair cut today. Sure, I've butchered it several times at home but I decided it was time for her to have a professional one. She was very against the idea. She had been telling us for weeks that she does not want to have her hair cut and when I told her that's where we were going today she flipped out and was screaming NO! I was determined however because her hair was looking so shaggy, it was impossible to brush, and she wasn't letting me take care of her hair.

I actually got half way to the hair salon and went back home to get her iTouch so that she would have something to occupy her. She only gets to use the iTouch for a few minutes a day so I knew she would probably be excited to use it.

When we entered the hair place she was screaming and crying. I was worried that we'd have to just walk out but the hair stylist seemed totally unphased and just went about reassuring Sara that it was going to be OK.

First she offered her a sucker and then asked Sara to climb in the chair. She actually climbed in it herself but then clung to me and wanted to bury her head in my shirt and not look. The hairstylist said her name was Kaylee and when she put the cape on Sara she told her it was like wearing a costume. Sara was wailing the whole time. Then Kaylee asked Sara if she wanted to see pictures of her new puppies on her phone. Sara said yes, so Kaylee showed her pics of her new Siberian Huskies.

Then I got out the iTouch and Sara got to show Kaylee her favorite games, she does a spelling game that she's gotten really good at. She showed Kaylee how to spell a word and then she did a puzzle game. The whole time Kaylee was actually cutting her hair and Sara didn't even realize it until it was done. Kaylee was silently asking me how long I wanted to leave Sara's hair and we negotiated it without a word.

Brennan was good too, he was wide awake in his carrier but didn't say a word. I even left the salon and went back to the car to grab my camera, after realizing that it was a "Kodak" moment.



Sara was good friends with Kaylee by the time we left and said she wanted to came back. I gave Kaylee a $10 tip for her help. It really wouldn't have happened if she hadn't been great with Sara.

Sara got a little certificate that Kaylee filled out and a lock of hair to keep.

1 comment:

KP&GVS3 said...

Maybe Kaylee has 6 or 7 siblings & just knows exactly what to do. Anyway, you found the right match for Sara. Fun story. We both enjoyed it, & think Mamma pretty smart & kind too.